Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Thoughts Before Viewing Rope

When I think of the year 1948, the first thing that pops into my mind is that it is immediately post World War II. The fact that the movie takes place after World War II, whereas the actual Leopold and Loeb crime occurred before the war may have a noticeable impact on how the event is represented by Alfred Hitchcock. I don’t exactly have an idea in my mind as to how I may interpret the movie differently from the Chicago Tribune news articles we have read, but it could definitely play a role.

I know absolutely nothing about this film as I set up to view it. I know that it will be roughly about the Leopold and Loeb murder, but I honestly have never heard of it and have no inkling as to how accurately it will represent the events. On the other hand, I have definitely heard of Alfred Hitchcock. I know that he is one of the founders of the modern day psychological thriller. I have specifically heard of his film, The Birds, and have seen part of Rear Window. He likes to create suspense in his films through his depictions of the characters’ relationships. It will be interesting to see what techniques he uses in Rope.

In terms of what I expect the most important features of the film to be, I expect it to be a suspenseful thriller. I anticipate a murder and two young men who most likely represent Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb. I imagine that Hitchcock will focus hugely on the relationship between the two boys, and the dynamics of who the mastermind is and who the follower is. This, to me, has been the most interesting part of learning about the murder, the psychology of the two killers.

No comments:

Post a Comment